In 2023 people might need even more temptation to go out and visit the shops. With household budgets squeezed by the cost of living, fuel bills and mortgage rates you can’t blame people for being cautious.
The Bank of England predicts that the economy will continue shrinking right through 2023. During a recession people tend to stay home and shop online for the things they need with the occasional small luxury thrown in. Shopping as a leisure activity is less likely to happen.
So what tactics can retail centres deploy? How can you entice reluctant shoppers into the High Street so that physical retailers get their share of any discretionary spending? One option is to focus on events and festivals.
Easter, Diwali, Eid, Halloween, Christmas, plus countless local festivals are all times when people are looking for opportunities to celebrate and have a good time. Providing a lighting spectacle as part of a programme of events will give retailers a much needed boost.
When to start planning your lighting display
Retail centre and BID managers are usually well aware of the draw of an imaginative lighting display. But sometimes the sheer number of other things going on means that planning starts too late to achieve the desired impact.
Ideally, the process should start at least 4-6 months before the event if you want to make the maximum impact. The following process illustrates why.
- Initial brief. This is where we clarify our understanding of what you want to achieve.
- Site visit. This helps us to maximise the opportunity and avoid potential issues later on. Our consultant will look at issues such as site access, architectural features, visitor flows and health and safety considerations.
- Design concepts and budget estimates. We produce visualisations so you can appreciate how the display will look and how it works within the space.
- Final design sign off. Once designs are finalised you’ll have a reliable budget and timeline.
- Risk assessments and health and safety planning. We work with you to identify and mitigate any potential issues.
- Eco-friendly manufacturing. The Festive Lighting Company (TFLC) will source all the elements of your display from our established supply chain partners.
- Installation and testing. When the display is ready we’ll arrange the installation in a way that minimises disruption to traders and commercial activities.
- Switch on. Our meticulous planning process ensures that everything’s ready for the big day.
- Take down and storage. At the end of your event we’ll carefully take down your hired lighting display and store it securely ready for next year.
- Purchase Options. We can offer an outright purchase, hire* only or a full turnkey hire* and installation service. *subject to status and minimum spend.
Often, the earlier you start the process the better. So if you’re planning a spectacular for an event or festival during 2023, get in touch with TFLC today on 01823 667788 or email email@example.com.